Sunday 21 February 2010

Week Two

This week was half term and I managed to do quite a few photoshoots which i was really pleased about.
On Friday (19/02/10) My Friend Jordan wanted a photoshoot after seeing previous photographs of mine, he really like the photographs I did of Tom Fieldhouse for my Studio Photography project. I ended up taking photographs of him, his brother and some family portraits. I'm still editing the photographs from the shoot but so far with the photographs I'v edited I'm really pleased with them, and I think the family will be too. I set the studio lighting up in their living room, as they have a big living room which enabled me to get the lights in the right position. For the backdrop I simply used a black bed sheet of mine, which works really well however I edit the background in photoshop anyway to make sure the background is pure black.
Photographers which i used for inspirtation for this photoshoot would be Rankin's studio portraiture, which are strong and powerful images which stand out and are very sharp for example: http://www.rankin.co.uk/portfolio/portraits Or George Dean's family portraits http://www.georgedean.com/ Ken Sharp also does really good family portraits: http://www.kensharp.com/gallery.php


Here's some photographs from the photoshoot :
(Above and Below) I opened these photographs in photoshop and copied the layer. I then made the background pure black, and using the healing tool removed any blemishes/moles/spots. I then smoothed the skin by simply air brushing the skin using the brush tool. Then using curves to whiten the image and the black paint bucket on the photograph i erased away leaving the eyes and belt buckle more enhanced. I then turned the saturation down so the photograph became Black and White as I felt these photographs were more strong and striking in black and white than colour. I like Jordan's strong masculine pose in these two photographs and I am very pleased with the outcome.
(Below) Here I made the background pure black, removed any unwanted moles/spots/blemishes, smoothed the skin and enhanced the eyes and belt buckle.
(Below) I really like Jordan's position and pose in this photograph, he looks very masculine, and I think the top looks really good on him and emphasizes his body. I really like this photograph in black and white and didn't like the colour version, in the colour version his skin looked very red and his top is striped green which clashed and wasn't good for his complexion.
Here I made the background pure black, removed any unwanted moles/spots/blemishes, smoothed the skin, enhanced his eyes and belt buckle and turned the photograph black and white, I'm really happy with this photograph.
(Below) One of my favourite photographs from the shoot, mainly because its so natural and there not posed. The mum is laughing and the boys are looking at each other and almost smirking, I think this photograph really captures the character of the family. It works great in black and white and really emphasizes the laughter in the mums face. There's also a great range of tones and I'm pleased how I positioned the the two lads either side of their mum. Here I made the background pure black but didn't do any other photoshopping to the photograph because I feel family portraits should be a true representation of the family and should not appear or look fake.
(Below) A lovely photograph of the dad and two sons. It took about 6 shoots to get one where they were all staring at the camera and not pulling too many crazy expressions. They were a lovely family to work with. Again I preferred this photograph in black and white, I just feel its more flattering, and you focus more on them in the photograph, as colours in clothing draw your eye away. Here I just made the background pure black but again didn't photoshop in any other way as I like family portraits to be a true representation.


(Above and Below) Here are two photographs of the family together. I think they shall be very happy with the photographs, I do prefer the black and white one, but thought I'd include a coloured photograph of the family. Again I made the background pure black but didn't photoshop in any other way. Otherwise I'd feel the photograph wasn't a true representation of the family.
(Below) I really like this photograph - two brothers messing around posing.
I like the composition of this photograph and theres a good range of tones. Here I made the background pure black and I removed any blemishes but other than that I tried not to other photoshop the photograph to much and kept the editing to a minimum.
A strong photograph of Ash is pose makes him looking powerful.
Here I made the background pure black, removed any unwanted spots/moles/blemishes and smoothed the skin.




No comments:

Post a Comment